Dystopian YA Review: The Farm by Emily McKay

The Farm by Emily McKay (The Farm #1)


review copy courtesy of Penguin

Synopsis from Goodreads
For Lily and her twin sister Mel there is only the Farm . . .

It's a prison, a blood bank, a death camp - where fear and paranoia rule. But it's also home, of sorts. Because beyond the electric fence awaits a fate much, much worse.

But Lily has a plan.

She and Mel are going to escape - into the ravaged land outside, a place of freedom and chaos and horrors. Except Lily hasn't reckoned on two things: first, her sister's ability to control the horrors; and, secondly, on those out there who desperately want to find and control Mel.

Mel's growing power might save the world, or utterly end it. But only Lily can protect Mel from what is to come . . .

The Farm takes you into a terrifying future where civilization has ended, and leaves you there - fearful, gasping and begging to escape.


UK Release Date: Feb 14th 2013.

Amazon  US/UK | Amazon kindle US/UK | The Book Depository US/UK | Fishpond

3/10

* * *
 I'll be honest, guys and gals. A lot of people enjoyed this book, but sadly I wasn't one of them.

*Caution: if you feel you'd like this book, don't read further because there will be spoilers in my rant*



There are only two redeeming qualities in my opinion - Mel, Lily's autistic twin and the sweetest character ever, and the world-building itself (or what tantalising pieces of it I could glimpse).

Everything else is a trainwreck. 

Lily is a condescending, callous, judgemental, horrible b*tch. I really wanted to strangle her all the bloody time. Mel feels like a burden to her, she whines, she sneers at pregnant girls, and the way she behaves towards her pregnant road companion later on is revolting. There is no human decency in her.

Carter is completely smitten by Lily (God only knows why) and talks more about his military education than he actually acts on it.

And don't even let me start on Stephen. The most pathetic vampire you'll ever meet. Most of the conflict in this book could have been avoided if he just tranqued both girls before taking them on the road. I just couldn't understand how he kept letting Carter and Lily to mouth him off when he was the strongest and supposedly most experienced two millenniums-old being around?!! *facedesk*

You see my problem? I was unable to believe the story, because to me most of the conflict didn't make sense and simply kept pissing me off. I do not appreciate the characters continuous stupidity and inability to think rationally of what will be the best for their communal survival. The only way I'd read book #2 if we get rid of Lily's storytelling altogether and concentrate on lovely Mel, otherwise HELL NO.

* * *

Честно говоря, книга отвратительная! На Ферму полно блестящих рецензий, так что если вы думаете, что книга вам понравится, лучше моё ревью с его спойлерами вам отложить в сторонку.

Едиственные читабельные части этого произведения - это Мел, аутистичная сестра близняшка Лили с шикарным, милым характером, а также интересный мир (интригующие детали которого мне удалось увидеть). Всё остальное - катастрофа.

Лили - это просто противная, судящая всех и вся, смотрящая на всех с презрением, маленькая сучка, лишённая человечности. Она тяготится своей сестрой, презирает беременных девушек, и вообще относится подло к своей беременной компаньонке в дороге, что меня просто довело до ручки. Мне постоянно хотелось её удушить. 

Естественно, картонный мужской персонаж, Картер, её боготворит и вообще делает для неё все. Картер постоянно упоминает как он натренирован в армейском лагере, но кроме слов от него мы редко что-то получаем.

И наконец, Стефен. Самый жалкий образец вампира, что мы когда либо увидим. Я виню его в большинстве высосанных из пальца проблем, которыми напичкан сюжет этой книги. Мужику 2000 лет и он не смог догадаться транквилизировать сестёр и держать их в подобном состоянии пока они не доберутся до безопасной территории?!! Нет, он слушает как с ним препираются и Лили и Картер, а когда те портачат, что случается с регулярностью два, он подчищает за ними дерьмо....  *бьюсь головой об стенкой*

В общем, смысла я в этой книге не вижу, проблемы и конфликт бессмысленный. Не думаю, что буду читать продолжение, если характеры ведут себя настолько по-идиотски, и вам не советую.

Comments

  1. Yeah, from what you are saying I would perhaps have a problem too with this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my ... I had this book on my radar, but now it kinda sorts dropped of my list altogether. With characters like that I doubt I'd enjoy the book either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. While I like that Mel is sweet (we all are! :-), the rest of the story doesn't sound good. Still I have a review copy that I was going to pick up this week and for some reason I want to see if it is as annoying for me as it was you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Klaus was in this novel he would snap their necks in no time. :D

    I actually picked this book up when it first came out but I dropped it the moment something more interesting popped up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sullivan Pig gave this one to me, I need to read it but now I'm so anxious to dislike it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gals, I really don't think most people would have a problem with this. I'm just very touchy when people treat other people badly because they think they are superior to them in some way (especially if it something to do with pregnant women).

    Zemira, I'm with you on Klaus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, another disappointing read for you. This is on my TBR list, too. I am wondering how I will react to the whole superior to women thing. That has to be written very well or it just pisses me off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, shame you didn't enjoy this. It looks interesting, but Lily sounds really really irritating. Ugh, a cast (almost) full of unlikables easily spoils a book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts